Sunday, January 18, 2009

Working up to the first 5K!!

I have been asked how I got started running, so I thought I would provide you with the training plan I followed before my first 5K!

By the way, I NEVER thought I would be a runner!!!! Not in a million years, but after about 6 months of running I am currently training to run a half marathon this year!!! What a change!

This plan takes six weeks until race day:

Week 1, Day 1: Run 1 min, Walk 1 min. Do 10 times.
Week 1, Day 2:Run 2 min, walk 4 mins. Do 5 times.
Week 1, Day 3:Run 2 mins, walk 4 mins. Do 5 times.
Week 2, Day 1:Run 3 mins, walk 3 mins. Do 4 times.
Week 2, Day 2:Run 3 mins, walk 3 mins. Do 4 times.
Week 2, Day 3:Run 5 mins, walk 3 mins. Do 3 times.
Week 3, Day 1:Run 7 mins. Walk 2 mins. Do 3 times
Week 3, Day 2:Run 8 mins. Walk 2 mins. Do 3 times.
Week 3, Day 3:Run 8 mins. Walk 2 mins. Do 3 times.
Week 4, Day 1:Run 8 mins. Walk 2 mins. Do 3 times.
Week 4, Day 2:Run 10 mins, walk 2 mins. Do twice then run for 5 mins.
Week 4, Day 3:Run 8 mins. Walk 2 mins. Do 3 times.
Week 5, Day 1:Run 9 mins, walk 1 min. Do 3 times.
Week 5, Day 2:Run 12 mins, walk 2 mins. Do twice then run for 5 mins.
Week 5, Day 3:Run 8 mins. Walk 2 mins. Do 3 times.
Week 6, Day 1:Run 15 mins, walk 1 min. Do twice.
Week 6, Day 2:Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times.
Week 6, Day 3:Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times.
Week 7 :RACE READY
Be sure to warm up and cool down -- I know you have heard it from every P.E. coach that ever walked the earth, but it is important!!! Oh and drink lots of water! I myself don't like to drink during these shorter runs, but I make sure I have had plenty of water before and after the run!
I purchased a running watch from Wal-Mart (back in the sporting goods section) that I really like. It has a countdown timer, a pedometer, a stopwatch, and it keeps track of mileage, it also has a heart rate monitor that I don't use. You calibrate the watch to your steps and from what I can tell it is pretty accurate for distance. This has been a good way to figure out how far I have gone outside without having to drive the route in my car to use the odometer! Also, I don't have to count my laps at the community center (33 laps are just too many to keep track of without making yourself crazy)!

Have a good run!
Macae

No comments:

Post a Comment