Monday, January 12, 2009

And They're Off!

As I was running over the weekend I had to stop and think "I've been doing this for a year now." WOW! It is a hobby, and I have Running Friends. I am a jock! For those of you who we are recruiting to join WOW pay particular attention to this blog because it definitely pertains to YOU! I know some of you are runners and some are walkers. But you are all women, you're all wonderful (Macae and I concluded this when making our list), and you're all here, in Warrensburg. So let's get together and hit the road so to speak!

During each of my three pregnancies, I always would say "When this baby gets here I am going to Run! Run like the wind!"
Well, needless to say I've had three beautiful daughters and it didn't happen! I didn 't mention the oldest is 14, so I have been saying this for awhile now! It still didn't happen!

What did get me moving was three of my friends at Sterling. It began in January 2008 when LeAnne was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy on Valentines Day. Another friend, Regina, had found a lump and had to have it biopsied. Luckily it was benign. Then in April, Diane found out her breast cancer had metastized to her spine and pelvis.

I finally hit the realization that your body might not always have the health for you to run , or walk, or even do simple things when you choose. How could I, who was relatively healthy, sit when I did have the health to run?

So my inspiration came from my three friends. And I started running. Needless to say it didn't look much like running. At first, I would go to the Community Center with my friend, Traci, and we would run a lap, walk a lap. Then we worked up to 2 laps. Eventually I could run about 5 blocks. Then it increased from there.

Macae was right with her take on a race. Definitely participate in one to just try it out. When she talked about the KC Komen Race for the Cure, she didn't mention that there are about 25,000 runners/walkers who are there to stomp out breast cancer. That is come girl power!

The St. Louis Race for the Cure is also a magnificent day. My sister in law's Aunt Terry was a survivor of breast cancer and had her gal pals "The Nuts" who had participated for years. They kept up the fight although she was in remission. Sadly, on October 10th, 2007 Terry passed away from pancreatic cancer. But "The Nuts" prepared and fundraised to go back to the St. Louis Race in 08 for the first time without Terry, their leader. She was definitely there in spirit!

Terry's family and friends were all there together again to continue their support for the cause. Her daughter, Tracy, niece Mindy, my sister in law Jen, and I decided to participate as runners. This was a first race for three of us, and Mindy (Marathon Mindy) served as the experienced coach, cheerleader, and tow truck if necessary!

So we ran for Terry with 65,000 other women, families, and friends fighting cancer. That was one of those days you never forget. And as Forrest Gump would say, We just kept on running!

Jen and her cousins are continuing to run and have developed a passion for it also. They are roadtripping to KC to join me in the Groundhog Run. We are also making plans for Komen on June 13th (Jen and I have a goal to raise a combined $1,000) Then there is the PF Chang Rock and Roll Marathon next January 2010. (roadtrip!) That is a longterm goal we are going to work hard this year to reach. Not a marathon, but a half is our hope. (It's still 13.1 miles~!YIKES)

You know there are days I really don't feel like running. But there has never been a run I went on I regretted. I have regetted not taking a run when I am sitting on the couch watching the sky turn pink at sunset thinking "I could be out there! I SHOULD be out there!"

So I run for my friends, and I run for my family, and my three daughters who I hope will take it up.

And there is never a better reminder of why I am doing it than when I am jogging up the street and pass Diane, or LeAnne. They make me feel strong!

I hope that you will consider joining our group. It is for fitness. But more importantly it's for friendship and fellowship with a great group of women! Happy Trails!

1 comment:

  1. What?!?! You mean my 7 years of medical hell did not inspire you? I'm disappointed.... :)

    ReplyDelete