Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The New Racing Season Has Begun!

I was really tired after doing the Polar Bear run on Saturday and the Groundhog Run on Sunday. I didn't plan to have running on the mind for awhile.

But then I read Macae's blog entry last night and it sort of lit a fire under my tired little Asics!

It occured to me that although it is definitely winter and not really looking like there is much getting out and running to be done, the 2009 Racing Season had officially started!

To have a good run/good training/good racing it does involved some work and planning. So I realized I have to start getting ready for these runs!

I apologize for the errors in dates with the spring events-they were posted that way and I will get them corrected as I remind you to sign up for them.

While I was at the Groundhog Run I met a member of the KC Express Women's Running and Walking Club. They have 200+ members and have been going for over 25 years! WOW! Looking on their website I found some things I thing the Women of Warrensburg might mirror in our club.

I just wanted to remind you that the season for racing HAS begun even though it doesn't appear so outside.

I just finished the book The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais. It is hilarious! A terrific combination of good information and humor. The main thing she pointed out was that the marathon itself was only 26.2 miles-in comparison to the hundreds of miles she ran in training to prepare for that day. I am including her website in our links.

As we get ready for this next season, remember each workout is as important as that race day.


And speaking of race day-There are a few coming up in February and March!


The Love 2 Run is a Couples Run on Valentine's Day -registration is at http://www.sportKC.org


Miles for Matt is a 5K walk/run to Benefit Matt Hernan an 8th Grader with a brain tumor. This is on February 21st in Raymore at East Glen School.



There are several races to choose from for some terrific causes on March 7th.

Truffle Shuffle to benefit the Jana Pinker Memorial Organization. Jana died of rare liver cancer.



Vertical Dash for Diabetes is a 34 flight stair climb at the Town Pavillion in downtown Kansas City, MO. http://www.kcfit.net


Drumm Farm Trail Run 5K/10K benefits children who attend Drumm Farm.




So, while you are starting the beginning of a great racing season the opportunity to help others and make some great new racing friends and memories are around the corner! I hope the WOW can plan to send some participants to some of these events.


The best thing you can get from being a part of a community of runners/walkers besides the obvious fitness is FRIENDSHIP and SUPPORT. GOOD LUCK MACAE GETTING READY FOR YOUR 1/2 MARATHON!

If YOU have a friend preparing for a big race let us know so we can cheer her on!


I hope to see you on the road!

Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment