Monday, January 19, 2009

Join us Saturday, January 24th!

There is a great quote that states "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Next Saturday, January 24th, Macae and several others are going to be at the Community Center for the Polar Bear Run. And yes, it is outside! The cost is $10 and you will get a great t-shirt. Race time is 9 am.

Now, for those of you thinking-I don't run, don't worry! I spoke with WPR and they said it is for runners/walkers. So possibly a good way to get started if you are interested in running is to walk one or alternate walking and running. It will be chilly, but there is also something beautiful about a cold winter morning I know you would love.

We will be there between 8:30 and 8:45 to get ready. Macae and I have both learned through trial and error some key things for preparing for a race. It's always good to have a nice amount of carbs and protein in your diet the day before. Something that makes your tummy rumbly might not be a good idea as there are no Johnny on the Spots during the race! (unless it is a big one like Komen) Also, drink plenty of water so you are fully hydrated. Your body will run so much better if it has water!
Race day it is good to start with a lite breakfast. Breakfast bars, bananas, apples, toast are all good examples of things that give you a little kick start. Finally, drinks such as vitamin water are good to have before and after the race because they replenish electrolytes. Especially so when it is a hot day outside and you are really sweating. Water is good too!

I did my first 5K last March through Park and Rec. It was ALL uphill. My time was 45 minutes and I did a comblination of walking and running. The next race was in April and my time was 40 minutes with more running. By the Fourth of July my time was 36 minutes all running. I think my best time yet is 32 minutes all running.

The first steps are hard-but they will lead you to your goal. I'm doing something I never dreamed I would, and it all started with that one step!
If you have questions or want to join us Saturday, get ahold of us at http://womenofwarrensburg@yahoo.com
Also-Macae noticed that some of the dates are incorrect for future races. Check back as we post the correct information-sorry for the error!
Hope to see you on the road!
Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment