Thursday, March 19, 2009

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses!


Hi Gals-I don't have to ask what you've been doing as the weather has been awesome and we are all starting to be outdoors as much as possible. I was looking at the Blog and realized I hadn't added anything since early March-once the weather hit, I was MIA.



At the same time, I ran with Pat, Delilah, Christine, and Ray at the Drumm Run on March 7th. It was a TRAIL run=running through fields over rough terrain, and up a hill that makes Monkey Mountain look like a mole hill!

I have been dealing with foot issues, and that seemed to irritate it.

Then came the dreaded pictures. Pat made some of our WOW shirts on a test run, and some were a really cool, visible, yellow. Needless to say, it makes one stand out. And whether it was my shirt or maybe not looking all that cool, they took ALOT of pictures of me. I think I counted myself in 17 pictures.



It was a great day, good friends, beautiful weather and my first 10K! But when I saw those pictures of myself, I was sort of disappointed. Is THAT what I look like running? Are my legs, gaining muscle by the minute, really that size? Do I appear to pant like a St. Bernard in Arizona when I run?



So, I used my aching foot and deflated ego as an "excuse"to sort of bail the past two weeks. I kept telling myself that I was becoming a runner, then that picture didn't paint a very pretty picture-I was still just me, pretending to be a jock. And I looked "silly".



So I sulked, stewed, moaned about my foot, which still hurts, and did nothing.



For whatever reason, I decided to run today-maybe it was the getting a peticure and thinking these feet need a little action. So off I went. I did an easy 3 miles-didn't know how I looked, but I felt great. My pace was better than it had been before the Drumm Run. So I thought, enough with the excuses, I need to get back in the game!

It's easy when things aren't quite to our liking to make excuses to not show up. But the only person we will let down is ourselves. As much as I disliked the pictures of my not so Rico Suave self running-I missed the feeling I have while I run. So if you see what appears to be Phoebe from Friends running down the street in a bright yellow shirt-it's me! And I know, I don't look fabulous-but I sure feel that way when I run!



Also-I now have a laptop! So if there is a beautiful day-I can blog on the deck, porch, or even by our pool! So no more excuses! I'm back!

Hope to see you on the road!

Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment